Our Mission & Vision
The Unitarian Church in Westport is a diverse and welcoming religious community, free of creed and dogma, and open to people of all backgrounds and beliefs.
WE INSPIRE and support individual spiritual growth.
WE CONNECT through worship, music, learning, and caring ministries.
WE ACT in the service of peace and justice.
Our congregation affirms The Seven Principles of the Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations:
- The inherent worth and dignity of every person.
- Justice, equity and compassion in human relations.
- Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations.
- A free and responsible search for truth and meaning.
- The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large.
- The goal of world community with peace, liberty and justice for all.
- Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
We are a welcoming, multigenerational religious community, richly diverse in our membership and beliefs, and connected by shared questions, joys, concerns and covenants. We encourage leadership through communal involvement and inspire spiritual discovery by exploring universal teachings and religions in our worship, music and education programs. Stewardship from fundraising as well as generous member pledges of money, time and resources provides financial support for sustainability and growth. We remain committed to lifelong learning, conducting outreach and taking action with other faiths and shining as a beacon of social justice. With a spirit of equality and adventure, we interconnect with our community and our world.
- Community – We are a religious community that is well-informed and connected by shared questions, joys, and concerns that enable us to grow within, among and beyond ourselves. We embrace music as a core way of celebrating our faith and building community.
- Diversity – We are welcoming to all, richly diverse and consciously providing programs that affirm and serve across ages, races, ethnicities, religious backgrounds and sexual orientations. We foster compassion for each other’s story.
- Leadership – Our congregation’s leaders (ministerial, professional and lay) provide services ranging from inspiring sermons and pastoral care to stewardship and oversight. We appreciate the talents, skills, passions and interests of every congregant, and invite each to contribute in their own way.
- Spirituality – We are a heart-based spiritual community that embraces wisdom and the essence of multiple world religions, belief systems, arts and philosophies. We support each other’s free exploration of practices that enhance inner peace, gratitude and love.
- Education – Our inspirational staff and generous volunteers provide vibrant, engaging and innovative educational experiences for all ages that nurture, provoke independent thinking and encourage spiritual growth through participation and service.
- Stewardship – Multi-generations are joining our congregation in growing numbers, and find welcome, affirmation and fulfillment of their spiritual needs – they pledge generously. We enjoy our spectacular building and grounds that are natural and lovingly maintained. Our sanctuary reflects our belief in the importance of nature and caring for it. We operate from a sense of stability and abundance.
- Outreach – As a group of creative thinkers and doers, we provide a beacon of hope connecting with others from diverse faiths working for social justice and inspiring a broad range of positive outreach to the world.